Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Cenotaph for Sanity

Alas, poor Tree I knew him well. Full branched, handsome, sweet fir-coned, he stood forty years tall. He was home to nesting songbirds and street-wise squirrels. He offered shade, cool shade, on a sun drenched day and oh, to catch his scent upon the wind was to sigh for. Yet, one day, the man-across-the-street who plays piano chopped him down; and, upon his stump, the man-across-the-street who loves to garden placed a pretty pot of pink petunias adorned by a plastic winged ornament with a long black beak.
I cry for Tree and Songbird and Squirrel. I cry for Wind and Sun and Me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gemma Grace said...

Tamar, I feel your arm kindly wrapped around my shoulder. Thank you ~

23:21  
Blogger Joe said...

Trees are beings too. While we face and allow what is, we still cry when our friends fall.

***

It is a rare gift to be able to unconceal richness and depth hidden within common, everyday experiences of the human heart. Thank you.

19:46  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I feel the same way when I observe the death of trees. They are so old and wise and do so much for the world. It really hurts when I see a whole race of beings - the tree nation - being slaughtered in an unacknowledged genocide.

Thanks for voicing my feelings.

18:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home